DISCOVER HOW TO BUILD THE RETAIL STORE
“We exist to make a positive difference to people’s lives."
WHAT IS THE EPISODE ABOUT
Australia’s largest global retailer Cotton On Group, known for fast-fashion, on embracing ecommerce, sustainability, and the power of connecting with the next generation…
Brendan Sweeney, General Manager of Ecommerce for Cotton On Group (an Australian retail chain, known for its fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children) joins Pavan Bahl and guest host Salena Knight (retail strategist, and host of the “Bringing Business to Retail” podcast), on location in Sydney, Australia at Online Retailer City and Nora Network, for a conversation presented by Fluent Commerce.
- Cotton On Group’s seven retailer brands mainly in fast-fashion, plus apparel and gifting brand, 1400 stores around the world
- Cotton On Groups’ explosive growth in last ten years
- Prioritizing ecommerce
- How Cotton On Group only built its first website 5 years ago
- Over $2B annual revenue, close to 10% from ecommerce
- Customers are largely millennals
- A recently launched loyalty program across all seven brands
- Keeping up with pace of whats happening
- The value of already having presence and notability of the brands anyway
- By being privately owned, able to move quickly
- The customer doesn’t think about channels
- How much Cotton On Group is thinking about the store of the future
- Looking at fundamental basics as more important than tech innovation
- Relying on physical store footfall
- Integrating cross-brand promotion into existing customer database
- Having all seven brands on one website, saw uptick in traffic
- Multi-brand customers quite valuable
- Subscrition boxes possible?
- Personalization operations around the world
- Mobile power to power charities
- A focus on sustainability and the benefit of customer buy-in, keeping price right, effective sourcing and supply chain management
- Connecting with incoming generation
With 15 years experience in multichannel retailing, Brendan joined the Cotton On Group in September 2015, charged with driving the future growth of the business’ e-commerce platform.
Hailing from Ireland, Brendan sets his sights on Australia in 2012, where he spent three years working at Wesfarmers leading supermarket brand Coles’ group strategy and transforming its multichannel offering. Prior to this, Brendan spent his career in senior leadership roles in the United Kingdom, working in the retail and manufacturing sectors.
With a passion for building world-class businesses, Brendan is responsible for developing both a short-term business plan and long-term blueprint for the Group’s e-commerce platform. This role will see him partner with brands to drive sales, maximize customer engagement and deliver innovative digital strategies. Brendan will also oversee site functionality, platform optimisation and lead our relationships with external suppliers, including the responsibility for our global e-commerce business and our Group Rewards program.
Brendan loves spending time with family and friends and enjoys kayaking and bike riding on weekends.